Register your interest for 2023. You will be contacted when a course is available for your jurisdiction.The prescriber course is delivered either completely online as a 4-week course OR face to face over 2 days with the pre-course and post-course activities delivered online. Presentations and case discussions will be delivered by specialists and GPs with expertise in HIV. Learning methods include online learning modules, presentations, case discussions and facilitated group work, giving attendees an opportunity to discuss practical strategies with peers and specialists.
Upon successful completion of this training and the associated case assessment, eligible participants may apply to the relevant state departments of health for authority to prescribe section 100 drugs for the management of HIV in Australia. Please note this course is in high demand with limited places, if you miss out on a spot in the first invitation you will remain on the waitlist for the next course. In the meantime, you can begin the pre-requisite online modules clicking this link or checkout our training page for further HIV education.
This course has 3 components;
• Pre-requisite activity: Introduction to HIV Online Learning Modules. These self-directed modules are the foundation for the facilitated training and must be completed within the 12 months prior to the prescriber course.
• Facilitated training: A four-week facilitated course with weekly online activities and interactive webinars OR an intensive two-day face to face course.
• Post course assessment: an online case-based multiple-choice exam to be completed within one month of the facilitated training.
Following the course participants will be able to:
• Describe the principles of initiation of antiretroviral therapy
• Evaluate the complexity of factors influencing patients’ treatment decisions
• Develop a clinical management plan for a patient on therapy, incorporating strategies for health promotion and harm minimisation
• Describe the contributing factors to the development of treatment toxicities and antiretroviral resistance
• Identify appropriate referral pathways for complex HIV issues including salvage therapy, women considering pregnancy and IRIS
This course is in high demand and priority will be given to GPs and Nurse Practitioners who require accreditation to prescribe in community settings.
This course has been approved as a CPD activity by RACGP for the 2023-2025 triennium.
Educational Activities: 12.50.
Reviewing Performance: 9.75.
This course has been approved by ACRRM as an accredited activity. Allocated total 24 PDP units; 20 Educational Activity and 4 Performance Review.
This course is endorsed by ACNP and a certificate of attendance will be provided.(new line) Educational Activities: 12.50 (new line) Reviewing Performance: 9.75
This course is available to participants in all states. ASHM will contact you when there is a course available in your jurisdiction.
Workshop materials and catering will be provided in the Face-to-Face training in 2022.
Please note this course has a waitlist. Registration cancellations and amendments must be notified in writing to ASHM. Cancellations received in writing after due date will incur a $110 per day cancellation fee. This fee may be waived in exceptional circumstances at the discretion of ASHM.