Hepatitis NSW Hep Connect program supports people living with hep C from testing, through treatment all the way to cure. Hep Connect transitioned from SMS Tech email reminder service to a digital therapeutic app, call Perx Health, following consultation with clinicians and representative from Sydney, Western Sydney, Mid-North Coast and Western NSW and Hepatitis NSW peer workers.
Supported by behavioural science research the Perx Health app uses multiple components to improve medication adherence and health-seeking behaviour including gamification, community connection, education, voucher rewards and challenges.
Many people detected as HCV antibody positive and those newly diagnosed with hep C are lost to follow-up or slow to initiate treatment. Influencing factors include delayed follow-up, stigma and discrimination experienced by people who inject drugs and delay in seeing a specialist if referred onwards.
Self-management models have been found to improve health-seeking behaviour. Research conducted by University of Sydney and University of Technology Sydney have found the Perx Health app motivates people to actively engage in their healthcare demonstrating sustained medication adherence of approximately 90% and a 30% increase over standard care.
Primary healthcare effort is required to reach hep C elimination targets. We believe Perx Health app will assist primary healthcare clinicians to support their patients through treatment.
Onboarding patients is easy!
- Onboarding a client is easy and take less than a minute.
- Clinicians can also onboard on behalf of their client using their own referral code.
- Onboarding pack for patients – flyer, membership card with QR code, welcome letter and collapsible drink bottle are available.
Perx Health app features
- No advertising
- No data provided to third parties.
- Privacy disclosure and consent consistent with NSW Health guidelines
- Support chat for clinicians
- Automated onboarding emails and SMS messages for referred patients.
- Rewards based – voucher incentives for medication adherence, attending appointments.
- Custom education content
- Patient evaluation surveys
- Will operate for a month if a client does not have any data.
The Perx Health smart phone app is a novel way to support people through their hep C treatment journey in a fun and engaging way, free from stigma and discrimination, all the way to cure.
Links to helpful information
If you have patients who would benefit from the program, please get in touch. Sandy Davidson, Programs Manager Hepatitis NSW firstname.lastname@example.org or Susanne Wilkinson, Project Officer email@example.com.