This course was developed by ASHM in collaboration with the Australasian Chapter of Addiction Medicine.
Target audience: AChAM Fellows and other Drug and Alcohol practitioners.
Upon completion of the 3 case-based modules, participants will be able to:
- Explain the natural history of hepatitis C virus and describe which factors may be involved in more rapid disease progression
- Evaluate who should be tested for HCV and describe the tests involved in confirming chronic HCV infection and baseline assessment
- Assess people living with chronic HCV and provide appropriate advice / management strategies to improve their quality of life
- Provide advice on treatment options for chronic HCV and refer appropriately for specialist assessment
- Recognise signs and symptoms of chronic liver disease and indications for specialist referral
- Describe when to monitor treatment response and when dose reduction or treatment cessation may be needed.