1. About this document
The Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis and Sexual Health Medicine (ASHM) is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and is committed to complying with the Act, including the Australian Privacy Principals, and to protecting the privacy of the personal information that ASHM holds.
- what personal information we collect
- how we collect and use your personal information
- your right of access to your personal information
- your right to inspect and, where necessary, correct the personal information that we hold about you
- your right to have your privacy complaints investigated and resolve
- your right to have your personal information protected from misuse or unauthorised access.
This policy applies to independent contractors and job applicants, as well as individuals who provide ASHM with their personal information.
2. Contacting us
If you would like more information on privacy or have any questions in relation to this policy please contact our Privacy Officer, who can be contacted by mail, telephone or email as follows:
Locked Bag 5057
Darlinghurst NSW 1300
Telephone: (02) 8204 0700
3. When will we collect your personal information?
Where possible, we collect your personal information directly from you. If you feel that the information that we are requesting, either from our website (www.ashm.org.au), on our forms, or in our discussions with you, is not information that you wish to provide, please feel free to raise this with us.
In some circumstances, ASHM may obtain personal information from a third party. If you provide personal information about another person to ASHM, then ASHM requires that you inform that person you have done so and provide them with a copy of this policy, for example a student may be required to provide their supervisor's name and contact details.
When dealing with membership, fulfilling your registrations to a course, conference and events, ,ordering resources or purchasing other services, ASHM will collect at a minimum the following:
- name of the contact person or people from the organisation
- the profession and position of the respective person or people
- business address and contact details
- nature of products or services being sought for the purposes of filling your order
- payment details by Credit Card, Invoice or direct debit
- For student memberships we also collect:
- Supervisor's name
- Supervisor's contact phone number
- Supervisor's email address.
We collect information by phone, in writing (e.g. email, fax, letter), and electronically when you register for an event/course, order a resource, or become a member from our web site www.ashm.org.au. We will use this information to provide membership, products, and services and may also use it for development of new resources, to conduct evaluations and for other marketing purposes.
We also collect personal information (including contact details) as part of our normal communication processes directly related to our purposes, including:
- when an individual emails staff members
- when an individual telephones us
- when an individual hands us their business card.
When dealing with independent contractors, ASHM collects the following:
- business address and contact details
- insurance details
- ABN if applicable
- rates and fees.
ASHM collects this information by phone and in writing. We will use this information to ensure that our independent contractors can perform work for ASHM in a safe and lawful manner.
When dealing with job applicants, ASHM collects the following:
- address/contact details
- career history
ASHM collects this information in the course of job interviews, telephone discussions, reference checks and in writing. ASHM will use this information to assess the suitability of applicants for a position. In the event that the job application is rejected, ASHM with your consent may keep the information to use in the event that another comparable vacancy arises.
4. The types of personal information we may collect from you
Personal information is any information that can be used to identify a person no matter how it is collected or recorded. Generally, personal information is collected by ASHM from a variety of sources, including when dealing with members or course registrants, when dealing with individuals, undertaking marketing initiatives, or when recruiting.
Should we collect personal information from you this may include (but is not limited to) your name, address, email address, telephone numbers, gender, financial information including credit card and banking information, and other means of personal identification.
5. Use of your personal information
We will not use your personal information for any purpose which is not related to the primary purpose for which it is collected. We will not use your personal information for any purpose for which you would not reasonably expect us to use your personal information.
Your personal information may also be used:
- to deliver the resources you requested
- to deliver information related to your course or conference registration
- to provide you with further information about the resources and services you requested
- to personalise and customise your experiences with ASHM
- to help ASHM manage and enhance its services
- to communicate with you
- for administration purposes, including charging, billing and collecting debts
- to promote and market other products and services of ASHM which we consider may be of interest to you
6. Disclosure of your personal information, including if sent overseas
We guarantee that we will not sell your personal information to any third party.
We do not give personal information about an individual to Government agencies, private sector organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- the individual has consented
- the purpose is funded by a Government agency or private sector information
- the individual would reasonably expect, or has been told, that information of that kind is usually passed to those individuals, bodies or agencies e.g. RACGP, ACRRM
- it is otherwise required or authorised by law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody's life or health, or
- it is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law or of a law imposing a pecuniary penalty, or for the protection of public revenue.
For the purposes referred to in this policy, we may disclose your personal information to external organisations including:
- our professional advisors, accountants, auditors and lawyers
We also engage a third party service to provide online credit card account processing and related services. When you pay your accounts online, a secure server is used. Paypal encrypts the information you send through this website.
For further information about the encryption process, please use the link provided. ASHM makes no warranty in respect of the strength or effectiveness of that encryption and ASHM is not responsible or liable for events arising from unauthorised access of the information you provide.
7. Quality of the personal information
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we hold is accurate and up-to-date. If you feel that information about you is not accurate or your details have or are about to change, you can:
- call us on 02 8204 0700 and we will correct or update your personal information
- if you have a login to MyASHM at http://www.ashm.org.au then you can click on Update My Details to change your details, when you are logged in.
8. Storage and security of information
ASHM will take all reasonable steps to secure your personal information. Electronic information is protected by various security measures and access to information and databases is restricted to staff and officers of ASHM by network access controls including password protection, and physical security measures.
9. Access to and Correction of your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to certain exceptions provided for in the Privacy Act. Access will be provided in accordance with ASHM's Access Policy. If you require access to your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer (details provided above). For security reasons, you will be required to put your request in writing and provide proof of your identity.
10. What happens if you don't provide your personal information
You are not obliged to give us your personal information. If you would like to access any of our services on an anonymous basis we will take all reasonable steps to comply with your request. However, if you choose not to provide ASHM with personal details, such as your name or address, the range of options available to you or your organisation, may be limited.
For example, ASHM cannot provide the full range of member services or allow you or your organisation to participate in networking functions, seminars and events, or successfully deliver any products and services that you have ordered from this website.
11. How to make a privacy complaint
If you have a complaint about ASHM's privacy practices, please contact our Privacy Officer. Complaints will be handled in accordance with ASHM's Complaints Policy, which you can request a copy of from us at any time during business hours (9:30am to 5pm AEST).
12. Links to other sites
13.1 Google Analytics
We use Google Analytics to collect information about how people use this website. The information we obtain from Google Analytics is used to help us understand users' needs so that we can offer a better user experience and ensure that important information is reaching our target areas.
Google Analytics uses 'cookies' to collect information about which pages you visit, how long you are on the site, how you got there (for example from a search engine, a link, an advertisement etc.) and what you select. Information collected by the cookies (including your IP address) is transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States.
13.2 ASHM Website ashm.org.au
When you use our website, we collect information from you by using a feature of your browser called a cookie to assign your computer a "User ID". Cookies do not contain information by which ASHM can identify you. They identify your computer to our servers. You may configure your browser so that you are notified before a cookie is downloaded. ASHM may use information contained in cookies to make assumptions about the user of the computer.
Notification of changes
- this privacy statement
- alert our members, if necessary, in cases where those changes might also affect their membership.
This policy was last updated on 12 March 2014.More information ?